Friday, August 21, 2015

Krakow

Random collection of pictures of buildings, food, and awesome graffiti.


Remu Synagogue and cemetery: the famous Rabbi Moses Isserles was buried here. He wrote the so called "Mappa" to Josef Karo's "Shulhan Arukh". Please google the rest :D






Temple Synagogue

Chair memorial on the main square of the former Jewish ghetto of  Krakow.


Helena Rubinstein, one of the first big businesswomen, was born in the green house on the main square (which is formally a street) of the Jewish district, Kazimierz. Here core scenes of the movie Schindler's list were filmed, although Kazimierz was never part of the Jewish ghetto.



Awesome street art all over the place












Wawel Castle with the most important church of Poland (?)








Main Square with St. Mary's Basilica
On my last day in Krakow, which also kind of ended the first half of my trip,  I felt really fancy and got a even more fancy-sounding coffee on the terasse of the so called Cloth Hall, overlooking the square. That's how my parents must feel like! ;D






I also went to a man-made hill in the east of the city. It had a nice view, but I still don't understand why people would - allegedly voluntarily! - carry tons of earth to some place just to memorize whatever kind of event (I forgot). The Austrians, who occupied the area some time ago, probably didn't understand either, so they built a fort on/around the hill, for with you can now pay 10zł to enter. Yay!






Last but not least: Food! 
I almost gave up, but when I saw Strawberry Pierogi on the menu, I decided to give this dish one last chance.  I went for five Pierogi with spinach filling an blue cheese sauce and five with strawberries in it. And the blue cheese turned out to be uh-ma-zing. Now I know the secret of good Pierogi: the topping! :D


I also didn't get around trying Zapiekanka, a dish mainly prepared in Krakow and the mountain region of Poland. Very delicious, but keeps you full for two days I guess :D



That's it. Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment